Iceland's Ring Road: Perfect 10 Day Itinerary
Updated: May 8, 2019
Back in September 2018 we did our first campervan trip along Iceland's Ring Road. We put a lot of time and thought into our itinerary because we didn't want to miss out on any places worth seeing (and there are tons of those in Iceland!) We mainly stayed on the Ring Road for this trip with a few detours. Before we go into details of our first epic Iceland journey we'll share our entire itinerary here. If you are currently planning your own Iceland trip, we hope you find it helpful. You can view all the stops on our itinerary on this Google map.
Day 1 - The Golden Circle
1. Pick up campervan. 2. Kerið crater. 3. The Great Geysir geothermal area. 4. Brú Icelandic horse petting farm. 5. Gullfoss waterfall. 6. Drive to and camp at Seljalandfoss' Hamragarðar campsite.
Day 2 - Waterfalls and the Plane Wreck
1. Seljalandfoss. 2. Gljúfrafoss. 3. Seljavallalaug abandoned pool. 4. Skogafoss. 5. Sólheimasandur plane wreck site. 6. Vik campsite.
Day 3 - Black Sand Beach and Ancient River Canyon
1. Reynisfjara beach. 2. Fjaðrárgljúfur canyon. 3. Svartifoss waterfall. 4. Svinafell campground.
Day 4 - Glacier Lagoons
1. Fjallsárlón lagoon. 2. Jökulsárlón lagoon. 3. Diamond beach. 4. Vestrahorn. 5. Höfn viking village. 6. Drive north along Eastern fjords. 7. Camp at Fossardalur Guesthouse campsite.
Day 5 - Eastern Fjords
1. Hengifoss waterfall. 2. Seyðisfjörður. 3. Stay at Seyðisfjörður camping site.
Day 6 - Northern Iceland
1.Selfoss and Dettifoss waterfalls. 2. Tjörnes peninsula. 3. Ásbyrgi canyon. 4. Goðafoss.
Day 7 - Northern Iceland, contd.
1. Maar Viti crater. 2. Hverir mud pods. 3. Dimmuborgir lava fields. 4. Grjótagjá cave. 5. Mývatn Nature Baths spa. 6. Stay at Varmahlíð Campsite - Across the River.
Day 8 - Western Iceland
1. Hvítserkur. 2. Grabrok crater. 3. Glanni waterfall. 4. Akranes. 5. Stay at Mosskogar Camping.
Day 9 - Reykjavik
1. Þingvellir National Park. 2. Hveragerði thermal river. 3. Reykjavik. 4. Airbnb in Sandgerði.
Day 10 - Back to Toronto
1. Return campervan. 2. Catch the flight back home to Toronto.
Stay tuned for future posts where we tell you all about our 10 day Ring Road trip and share everything we learned during our trip plus all the things we wished we knew before we went.